Detox Vegetable Soup
Sometimes, we can’t help but eat empty calories or junk foods, especially during the holiday season. However, we most likely feel guilty and regretful afterward, when we’re already lethargic. This easy detox recipe is all you need to remove all those toxins and get back on track as soon as possible. It’s light, hearty, and flavorful, yet it’s easy to make and highly nutritious.
Servings 6 servings
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 pieces celery stalks chopped
- 1 piece red bell pepper chopped
- 4 pieces garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and chopped
- 12 medium tomatoes diced
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly crushed
- 4 cups of kale stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
Heat up a large pot over medium-high heat and add EVOO.
Sauté onions, carrots, and celery and cook until the onions are translucent (about 3 to 5 minutes.)
Add in the bell pepper and garlic cloves and cook for another minute. Stir in green beans and cook for another minute.
Add the diced tomatoes, stock, herbs, and spices and mix well.
Bring to a boil and then let it simmer, uncovered, and over med-low heat, for roughly 20 to 25 minutes.
Add in kale and cook for another 5 minutes or until the kale wilts.
Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
- This recipe can be done ahead of time. Keep them in airtight containers, making sure they’re at room temperature before you refrigerate or freeze them. They’ll last for about a week in the fridge and several months in the freezer.
- It’s important that the ingredients are of the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Alternatively, you may use a food processor and pulse these ingredients once or twice to get the same size. Be careful not to purée them, though!
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 874mg | Potassium: 1045mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 9910IU | Vitamin C: 122mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 2mg