Mongolian Beef is a delicious Asian dish made primarily with skirt steak and scallions. You can add more vegetables like broccoli if desired. Gluten-free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Keto-friendly, and Paleo.
Servings 4 people
- 1.5 lb skirt steak (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 6 inch ginger (thinly sliced)
- 4 whole red chili peppers (optional)
- 6 bulbs scallions (cut into 3-inch lengths)
Thinly slice the beef against the grain. Make the marinade by mixing sesame oil, arrowroot starch, baking soda, and 3 tbsp of olive oil. Add the beef to the marinade and place in the fridge.
In the meantime, prepare garlic, ginger, scallions, separate white and green parts. Optional for spicy version: remove the chili pepper seeds and slice them to thin strips
In a well-heated stainless steel skillet or cast iron, add 2 tbsp olive oil. Pan fry the beef as one layer without disturbing over medium-high heat until crisp brown, about 2 minutes then quickly sear the flip side, about 30 seconds. Set the chicken and the pan juice aside.
Add 1 more tbsp of olive oil on the pan, saute toppings (scallions, etc) with a pinch of salt until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then, pour what's left of the marinade and the pan juice.
Add the beef back to the skillet with the toppings. Quickly toss to coat the flavor for another 30 seconds. Serve hot and immediately.
- For Fatty Liver Meal plan, modify: replace beef with proteins that are good for the liver such as mackerel and chicken breast
- For Low Histamine Meal plan, modify: remove fish sauce and whole red chili peppers
Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 974mg | Potassium: 708mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 457IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 4mg