Mediterranean Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
Mediterranean avocado chicken salad on toasted bread. I like it as a sandwich. Why? That's just how I roll. But, it will also make an excellent salad that is... just a salad. Gluten-free, nut-free, Mediterranean, and DASH. The primary rainbow color is green.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 ripe avocados halved, sliced or mushed
- 1 cup chicken sliced, chopped, or shredded
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese can sub shredded mozzarella
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper ideally, kosher
- 6-8 pieces bread toasted, whole grain gluten-free
- 5 leaves arugula or spinach
In a medium bowl, mix avocados, chicken, eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, 1-2 tablespoons of oil from the sun dried tomato jar, feta, basil, lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
Toast bread and place mix on bread.
Meal Prep Tips:
- Grill, fry, or bake enough plain chicken for several meals and freeze for use in multiple dishes. We often use an instant pot to make chicken that will be inside of something else since texture is less important. Make sure to store in containers that freeze meat in sizes you can easily use.
- Avocados do not freeze well. At least, they never have for me. They also do not store or travel well. Considering how quick the rest of this recipe is, I suggest cooking the chicken ahead of time, then making the rest when you want to eat. Lemon juice on the avocado will help it keep for a little while, perhaps an hour or so.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 213mg | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 704mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 781IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 2mg