This Spice Rub Grilled Tofu Recipe will absolutely blow your mind– you wouldn’t even think that there’s no meat in it! Oh, did I mention that it’s a great detox recipe too?
Tofu is a diuretic that helps flush out impurities through our kidneys via urine. Thus, this recipe is a great addition to your detox meals. It’s also a great source of protein, which is beneficial for those who are trying to lose weight, strength training, and improving their overall health.
As for the flavor of this dish, it features a caramelized umami flavor that is so irresistible! The spices add a variety of notes too! Just make sure to drain the tofu well so that it can soak up all the spice rub flavors and maximize the flavor profile of this dish.
You can serve this on its own as an appetizer or pair it with fresh salad to turn it into a complete meal that’s so healthy and yummy!
Spice Rub Grilled Tofu
For the Tofu:
- 1 12- oz package extra-firm tofu drained well
- Spice rub recipe below
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the Spice Rub:
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon tamarind powder
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Combine all the spice rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub olive oil and spice rub all over the tofu. Let it sit for about 15 minutes for the tofu to absorb the flavors.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. If you don’t have one, you can pan-sear the tofu in a frying pan.
- Once the pan is hot, grill or sear the tofu steaks for 4 minutes per side, or until golden. Serve and enjoy!
- This tofu is best served with fresh arugula salad.
- You can multiply and do a large batch of the spice rub. Store it in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and keep it away from humid places like near the stove, oven, or refrigerator.
Love this recipe? Share with us your thoughts in the comments section below.