Tuna and Zucchini Moussaka
- Nonstick pan
- Glass baking dish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 ounces fresh tuna finely sliced
- ¼ cup olives pitted and sliced
- 6 tablespoons fresh tomato juice
- Salt and pepper as needed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 1 ½ teaspoon fresh
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/8 piece red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1/8 piece yellow bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp gluten-free cheese grated, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Heat up olive oil in a non-stick pan set over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic, tuna, and olives for about 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice and continue to cook for another minute or two. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini into ⅛-in thin round discs. Arrange some on a glass baking dish and top with some tuna mixture. Repeat the layers until all the zucchini discs and tuna mixture are used.
- Top with slices of red and yellow bell pepper, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Fresh tuna will always be the best and healthiest option; however, if you don’t have access to one, you may replace it with a can (6 oz) of drained, unsalted or low-sodium, tuna flakes in water.
This moussaka from tuna fish and zucchini is one of the most creative and easy to prepare lunch recipes that are tasty and weight loss friendly at the same time.
Especially if you don’t want to eat that classic combo of tuna and green salad, this is such a better option for you.
Zucchini comes from Central America and Mexico and has many health benefits. It’s low on calories, but high in fibers, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, and that is exactly what we all looking for, wouldn’t you agree? Also if you have eye-related health problems you need to think of using this veggie more, because it’s rich with antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin who are responsible for better vision and eye focus. Also, many studies found that regular consumption of zucchini has a role in Thyroid function, and also may help you lose weight.
With this combo of protein source plus zucchini, you will get a balanced meal, who is easy to digest because these two ingredients make the perfect balance in our stomach.
This recipe is a must, and I promise that you won’t regret it.