Mimi’s Chocolate Cake is a long-beloved cake recipe from our loving grandmother.
Every slice of this rich and indulgent chocolate cake will remind you of happy days.
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake makes an excellent anytime dessert but is especially good during the holidays and special occasions.
It’s a rich, moist chocolate cake with a decadent frosting on top that will delight your tastebuds!
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake is one of our favorite childhood recipes that we’ve updated with new flavors for today.
Making this heirloom cake
What better way to brighten up someone’s day than by baking Mimi’s favorite cake?
It is best to pair with the chocolate frosting recipe that we have included.
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake is a recipe you can learn in just under 30 minutes.
It’s fun to make as a family activity and easy enough for the kids to help out!
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake recipe is delicious to enjoy at home with family and friends, but it also makes an excellent gift to bring at a party or get-together. You can just wrap it in cellophane and add a pretty bow on top. Your family and friends will love you when Mimi’s Chocolate Cake arrives at their doorstep!
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake can be put in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Mimi always told me that it would still taste good even if it had been refrigerated when she was my age.
I remember Mimi making this chocolate cake on a lot of her birthdays (she has a big family).
A day before the party, Mimi would prepare all the food and ensure everything was ready when her guests knocked at the door.
This Mimi’s Chocolate Cake recipe is very easy to follow, so you don’t have to worry about messing things up with it!
The key to the success of this chocolate cake recipe is making sure that the sugar and butter are creamed well enough before proceeding to the next step.
You also have to be patient in pouring the buttermilk and boiling water. Make sure to not pour it all in one go and do it little by little. It’s also a great tip to remember to cool the cake before spreading it on the frosting.
I know it’s hard to resist taking a bite out of the cake when it gets out of the oven, but it’s definitely worth the wait.
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake is honestly the best recipe I know. It’s easy to follow and turns out great every time! Mimi would be happy that you’ve chosen to use her recipe, so go ahead and enjoy Mimi’s Chocolate Cake today!
This is a very indulgent recipe so make sure to use your go-to organic ingredients for it.
What to serve Mimi’s Chocolate Cake with
You can also add pieces of strawberries when serving for a tangy kick of flavor. And make this chocolate cake extra by putting blueberries on top.
The Mimi’s Chocolate Cake recipe below made me realize how delicious and fun baking can be! You’ll have a fully baked cake in under an hour.
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake recipe is great for a kids’ bake sale or any chocolate lovers out there. Thus decadent chocolate cake is truly a winner!
It also helped remind me of Mimi during special times. Mimi says she has shared this recipe with many of her friends, and they just can’t get enough of Mimi’s Chocolate Cake.
This recipe makes a moist, rich, and creamy chocolate cake that everyone loves to eat.
And oh, I have to warn you. This is a rather sinful dessert! But you can make it with fewer calories by substituting ingredients.
I have mapped one out for you below.
Substitutions & Alternatives
- You can use manuka honey, raw honey, or maple syrup instead of sugar for a slimmer version of Mimi’s Chocolate Cake. Take note though, that the consistency might change. Since syrups have more liquid in them, it can result in a less dense cake.
- For a lower-calorie Mimi’s Chocolate cake, you can use greek yogurt instead of butter. The ratio is 1:1. Greek yogurt can retain the creaminess and the moistness of the cake, but it can also make the cake a little bit denser.
- For a gluten-free recipe, use almond flour, oat flour, or any gluten-free flour. And make sure to source the dark chocolate squares from trusted gluten free brands.
The recipe below has been updated with exciting flavors! Enjoy!
Mimi’s Chocolate Cake
- electric mixer
- 1/2 cup butter (creamed)
- 2 pieces eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar (preferably muscovado or brown)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares (melted)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (use 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1/2 cup milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups cake flour (shifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar brown or muscovado
- 3/8 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/8 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix cream butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Add vanilla and chocolate.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Then, add alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir mixture by hand while intermittently adding boiling water.
- Line pans with waxpaper. (Don't grease or flour pans)
- Bake cake mixture at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes
- Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil. Let it boil for one minute and remove it from heat.
- Beat using an electric mixer until ready to spread (approx 1 minute).
- Add vanilla when cooked a little.
- Let the freshly baked cake cool before spreading the icing.