Gluten-Free Orange Danish Rolls
These Orange Rolls are fluffy and bursting with the orange flavor. The filling and glaze are made with orange marmalade. The dough needs to rise overnight. A vegetarian, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free recipe.
Servings 12 rolls
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast 1 package
- 1/4 cup warm water not hot
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup aquafaba chickpea brine (Or use 2 tsp egg replacer powder mixed with 1/4 cup water) or flax seed or 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp vegan butter optional but nice
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Mix the yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer and let it stand five minutes or until the yeast is frothy and bubbly.
- Add the orange juice, aquafaba (or egg or flax seed – depending on your preference) , oil, flour and salt and 2 cups of flour and mix until the dough comes together. Continue to add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until you have a smooth, pliable dough that doesn't stick. Continue to knead a couple more minutes.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball and place in an oiled bowl, turning the dough over once to ensure it is coated with oil. Cover tightly with cling wrap and set aside in a refrigerator overnight. If you want to make the rolls the same day, set the dough to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled.
- In the morning, or when ready to shape the rolls, punch down the dough and roll into a rectangle 12 inches long and six inches wide.
- Spread the orange marmalade for the filling on the surface of the dough. Starting along the long seam, roll the dough as tightly as possible until you have a cylinder 12 inches in length.
- Cut the dough into 10-12 pieces, equal in size if possible.
- Place each roll, cut side up, in a 10-inch round or square pan. I used an 8-inch cake pan and things were a bit tight in there which made the rolls rise rather high, but you can use an 9-inch pan if that’s your only option. A 10-inch cast-iron skillet would work well too.
- Cover the rolls with cling wrap or a kitchen towel and set aside to rise in a warm place for an hour until they are puffy and risen.
- About 20 minutes before baking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- To bake, place the orange rolls in the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes or until browned on top.
Make the glaze:
- Mix all the glaze ingredients with a whisk. If using vegan butter, make sure you melt it first.
- Drizzle the glaze over the rolls and serve warm.
Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3mg