Easy, Healthy Oats with Nuts and Cream
Versatile breakfast: Toasted almonds and chopped dried figs on oats with honey and ricotta cheese or dates and pumpkin seeds. Or, all mix all of them together —you can't go wrong— for an easy yet hearty, sweet, and creamy breakfast.
Servings 1 serving
- ½ cup quick oats first mix with hot water if you want oatmeal. We use this gluten-free option.
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dried figs chopped, can substitute dates
- 2 tablespoons almonds crushed, or pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 add apple, banana, strawberry, or blueberry optional
- Can be served hot or cold. If you want hot, then mix oats with hot water, then let cool for 5 minutes before adding other ingredients. For cold, skip the water and simply mix oats with other ingredients.
- Mix oats, ricotta (or plain yogurt), and a healthy dab of organic local honey.
- top with crushed almonds (we use our food processor to crush a jar of almonds and keep it in the fridge for ease of use) and chopped figs (some prefer chopped dates).
- Some like adding fruit to the mix.I prefer it without.
- I have not tried this, but for those who are keto, paleo, Atkins, or whole30, you can substitute oatmeal with 4 ingredients- Ground flax, chia seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut and a keto-friendly granulated sweetener of choice. I found this recipe here.
- To make kid-friendlier, I suggest chopped yogurt, dates, crushed almonds, and a teaspoon of honey (two if the yogurt is too tart).
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 134IU | Calcium: 182mg | Iron: 3mg