If you like this recipe, you might also like our Healthy Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bars.
Baked oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas
- 2 bananas medium ripe (the riper the better) sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1 cup quick oats uncooked (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped. Substitute pecans if you prefer.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup fat free milk or any milk you desire
- 1 egg Or, substitute using flax seeds, chia seeds, or apple sauce (see notes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray an 8 x 8" or 9 x 9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange the banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle half of the blueberries over the bananas, 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon, 1 tbsp of the honey and cover with foil.
- Bake 15 minutes, until the bananas get soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, half of nuts, baking powder, remaining cinnamon, and salt; stir together.
- Remove the bananas from the oven, then pour the oat mixture over the bananas and blueberries.
- In the now empty bowl, whisk together the remaining honey, milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk mixture over the oats, making sure to distribute the mixture as evenly as possible over the oats. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries and walnuts over the the top.
- Bake the oatmeal for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set. Serve warm from the oven.
- Alternatively, you may substitute 1 egg with any of the following:
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds and 3 tablespoons water. Whisk together until gelatinous and creamy.
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 3 tablespoons water. Stir together and rest for 15 minutes before incorporating into the recipe above.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce.