This Mediterranean Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich is packed full of colors as well as flavors.
Just looking at the ingredients makes our mouths water. We hope yours is too! The earthy texture of the avocado, the sweet-tart punch of the sun-dried tomatoes, the tangy flavor of cheese, the crunch of kale, and the savory taste of the chicken are the perfect blend to your salad sandwich.
Every ingredient is nutritious too (the cheeses are debatable but necessary). Avocado is a source of Vitamin E and helps in regulating appetite. Chicken, on the other hand, builds and/or maintains muscle mass and aids in bone strength.
This Mediterranean Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich is so easy and quick to make, you can eat it for lunch every day!
We suggest adding artichoke hearts for that nutty flavor. Elevate the recipe by using sourdough. You can replace the bread with pita too.
Mediterranean Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1/2 ripe avocados halved, sliced or mushed
- 1 cup chicken sliced, chopped, or shredded
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese can sub shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6-8 pieces bread toasted, whole grain gluten-free
- 5 leaves spinach or kale/arugula
- salt and pepper ideally, kosher
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, mix avocados, chicken, eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, feta, basil, lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Toast bread and place mix on bread. Top with arugula, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice.
- Grill, fry, or bake enough plain chicken for several meals and freeze for use in multiple dishes. We often use an instant pot to make chicken that will be inside of something else since texture is less important. Make sure to store in containers that freeze meat in sizes you can easily use.
- Avocados do not freeze well. At least, they never have for me. They also do not store or travel well. Considering how quick the rest of this recipe is, I suggest cooking the chicken ahead of time, then making the rest when you want to eat. Lemon juice on the avocado will help it keep for a little while, perhaps an hour or so. You can also make the filling beforehand and refrigerate so you can just pull it out when you’re about to make a sandwich.
- For Low Histamine Meal Plan, modify: Don’t use tomatoes. Reduce the avocado to 1/4 or don’t use at all. Replace the spinach with kale or arugula.
Grill the chicken to get a nice char on the outside. Add sliced onion, avocado, colorful cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and hummus. Although it’s a salad, which you can optionally make into a sandwich, it’s very filling thanks to the different elements that are high in healthy fats and protein.